Enhanced Recovery After Surgery
What is Enhanced Recovery?
Enhanced recovery is a way of improving the experience of patients who need major surgery. It helps patients recover sooner so life can return to normal as quickly as possible. The ERAS program focuses on making sure that patients are actively involved in their recovery.
There are four main stages:
1. Planning and preparing before surgery
–giving you plenty of information so you feel ready. This may include information such as medication guidelines.
2. Reducing the physical stress of the operation
– allowing you to drink up to 2 hours before your surgery.
3. A pain relief plan
that focuses on giving you the right medicine you need to keep you comfortable during and after surgery.
4. Early feeding and moving around after surgery
– allowing you to eat, drink and walk around as soon as you can.
It is important that you know what to expect before, during and after your surgery. Your care team will work closely with you to plan your care and treatment. You are the center of the care team.