Thank you for considering an observation experience at Deaconess Health System.
This program is geared towards high school and college students with an interest in working in the medical field.
Sponsors and Observers
In order to participate in an observation experience at Deaconess, students must have a sponsor. A sponsor is a Deaconess employee who has the arrangements for the observation and will accompany the student observer at all times during the visit.
Steps to take if you want to observe:
Steps to take as a Deaconess employee who wishes to sponsor an observer:
- Determine the area/department and the specific person with whom you would like to observe.
- Contact the potential sponsor and ask to shadow him/her. If that person agrees to be your sponsor, continue to step 3.
- Print out and complete the following paperwork:
- Observation in Patient Care Area Application
- Observer Orientation Training
- The Statement of Confidentiality
- Obtain proof of flu vaccine (for observations from October 1 - March 31)
- Please provide the following vaccine information:
- MMR documentation (2 doses of vaccine or immune titers for Rubella/Rubeola[measles]/Mumps)
- Varicella (chicken pox) documentation (2 doses of vaccine or immune titer)
- T-spot TB test given in the last 12 months. Two TB skin tests given in the last 12 months are required for Surgery or Emergency Department observations regardless of hours of observation. One QuantiFERON TB Gold blood test is acceptable to meet this requirement.
- Hepatitis B series vaccination or a signed declination
- Tdap required if observing in patient care areas at Deaconess Women's Hospital
- Determine how you will get your sponsor to sign the contract. Scanning and emailing the document back and forth is acceptable.
- Set a time, date and location for the observation experience.
- At least two weeks prior to the observation, email all completed documents to Human Resources at email@example.com
- Incomplete paperwork will not be accepted and you will not be able to observe.
- Meet your sponsor or assigned person at the Information Desk if observing at Deaconess Midtown Hospital or Deaconess Gateway Hospital. Your name, sponsor’s name, visitor badge, date and time of observation will be sent to the Information Desk before your arrival. If you are observing at another Deaconess location, arrange a meeting place with your sponsor.
- Your badge will need to be returned to the Information Desk at the end of the observation.
Day of the observation:
- Review the qualifications to observe to determine if the observer meets criteria.
- Refer to Policy & Procedure 45-22 S: Visiting Observer to ensure understanding of Deaconess observation policy and procedures.
- Gain approval from manager or director of the area and ensure they are aware of the visit. No one may sponsor an observation without permission and complete paperwork, including physicians.
- Be clear with the observer regarding the length of the observation.
- Observers must be a high school junior at minimum and meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- A student has a requirement for a college course, for college credits or to get into a college course
- A high school student is in a structured program such as Health Occupations or the observation is required for their class
- High school observers are not permitted in the following areas (exceptions may be made for Deaconess sponsored programs):
- Emergency Department
- Cross Pointe
- Deaconess Riley Pediatric Unit
- Pediatric Trauma
- No visiting observers are permitted in the following areas:
- Patients with isolation precautions
- Any locked down area
- Observers are not permitted to observe procedures performed on patients under sedation or anesthesia unless the patient has given prior permission and:
- the Observer is either a licensed health care professional, or
- the Observer is an enrolled participant in a school-based health occupations exploratory program
- Establish a date and time for the observation.
- Direct the observer to www.deaconess.com/For-You/students. The observer will need to complete all requirements and email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to their observation. (Send one email with all forms attached.)
- Incomplete paperwork will not be accepted and the observer will not be able to participate.
- Meet your student at the Information Desk if observing at Deaconess Midtown Hospital or Deaconess Gateway Hospital. Your name, the student’s name, visitor badge, date and time of observation will be sent to the Information Desk before your arrival. If the observation is at a different Deaconess location, arrange a meeting place with your student.
- Before entering a patient’s room, please gain permission from the patient by saying, “I have an observer with me today. Is it okay if they join me?”
- The visitor’s badge will need to be returned to the Information Desk at the end of the observation.
- Park anywhere in visitor parking.
- Be punctual. If more than 5 minutes late, the observation will be cancelled for that day.
- Go to the Information Desk (or other designated spot) to meet your sponsor and obtain your visitor badge.
- Dress in business casual attire that is appropriate for the professional environment. Clean, closed-toed shoes and sleeves are required. No denim, shorts or flip flops. An example of appropriate attire is khaki pants and a polo shirt.
- No food or drink is allowed in patient care areas during the observation experience.
- Do not record, photograph or video any of your observation.
- If you are suffering from a cold, flu, fever, diarrhea or other indicator of communicable illness, PLEASE CANCEL YOUR OBSERVATION AND RESCHEDULE.