Thank you for considering an observation experience at Deaconess Health System. An individual may be considered for an observation if they meet one or more of the following qualifications:
Sponsors and Observers
- A student has a requirement for a college course, for college credits or to get into a college course
- A high school student is in a structured program such as Health Occupations and the observation is required for their class
In order to participate in an observation experience at Deaconess, students must have a sponsor. A sponsor is a Deaconess employee who has the arrangements for the observation and will accompany the student observer at all times during the visit.
Steps to take if you want to observe:
Steps to take as a Deaconess employee who wishes to sponsor an observer:
- Determine the area/department and the specific person with whom you would like to observe.
- Contact the potential sponsor and ask to shadow him/her. If that person agrees to be your sponsor, continue to step 3.
- Print out and complete the following paperwork:
- Observation in Non-Patient Care Area Application
- Observer Orientation Training
- The Statement of Confidentiality
- Obtain proof of flu vaccine (for observations from October 1 - March 31)
- COVID Vaccine documentation
- Determine how you will get your sponsor to sign the contract. Scanning and emailing the document back and forth is acceptable.
- Set a time, date and location for the observation experience.
- At least two weeks prior to the observation, email all completed documents to Human Resources at email@example.com
- Incomplete paperwork will not be accepted and you will not be able to observe.
- Meet your sponsor or assigned person at the Information Desk if observing at Deaconess Midtown Hospital or Deaconess Gateway Hospital. Your name, sponsor’s name, visitor badge, date and time of observation will be sent to the Information Desk before your arrival. If you are observing at another Deaconess location, arrange a meeting place with your sponsor.
- Your badge will need to be returned to the Information Desk at the end of the observation.
DAY OF THE OBSERVATION
- Review the qualifications to observe to determine if the observer meets criteria.
- Refer to Policy & Procedure 45-22 S: Visiting Observers to ensure understanding of Deaconess observation policy and procedures.
- Gain approval from manager or director of the area and ensure they are aware of the visit. No one may sponsor an observation without permission and complete paperwork, including physicians.
- Be clear with the observer regarding the length of the observation.
- Observers must be a high school junior at minimum and meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- A student has a requirement for a college course, for college credits or to get into a college course.
- A high school student is in a structured program such as Health Occupations and the observation is required for their class.
- Establish a date and time for the observation.
- Direct the observer to deaconess.com/For-You/students. The observer will need to complete all requirements and email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to their observation. (Send one email with all forms attached.)
- Incomplete paperwork will not be accepted and the observer will not be able to participate.
- Meet your student at the Information Desk if observing at Deaconess Midtown Hospital or Deaconess Gateway Hospital. Your name, the student’s name, visitor badge, date and time of observation will be sent to the Information Desk before your arrival. If the observation is at a different Deaconess location, arrange a meeting place with your student.
- The visitor’s badge will need to be returned to the Information Desk at the end of the observation.
- Park anywhere in visitor parking.
- Be punctual. If more than 5 minutes late, the observation will be cancelled for that day.
- Go to the Information Desk to meet your sponsor and obtain your visitor badge.
- Dress in business casual attire that is appropriate for a professional environment. No denim, shorts or flip flops.
- Do not record, photograph or video any of your observation.
- If you are suffering from a cold, flu, fever, diarrhea or other indicator of communicable illness, PLEASE CANCEL YOUR OBSERVATION AND RESCHEDULE.