When a medical emergency occurs, our patients often need immediate treatment. Thanks to our skilled partners, the regional Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers, help is only a phone call away. If you or a loved one experience a medical emergency, call 9-1-1. Skilled medical professionals will provide crucial pre-hospital care during transport to the most appropriate Deaconess facility.
Our Illinois teams serve Saline & Gallatin Co. Illinois. Our Kentucky/ Indiana teams serve Henderson & Union County, as well as Deaconess Health System in southern Indiana. The mission of Deaconess EMS is to provide high quality, compassionate care to the community, with expertly trained EMS professionals.
Regional EMS Providers
While our regional EMS providers are too numerous to list, we gratefully recognize them all for their dedication to quality services. These professionals include emergency medical responders from area volunteer fire departments, paramedics and nurses who also provide ground or air transport to Deaconess.
Partners in Pre-Hospital Care
Pre-hospital services play a critical role in the overall care of Deaconess patients, so we consider regional EMS providers part of our winning team. Deaconess serves as medical direction for over 65 local EMS, Police, Industrial medicine, and Fire agencies.
Deaconess Medical Directors
- Deaconess is a certified Supervising Hospital for the State of Indiana & Kentucky.
- Deaconess is certified as a Resource Hospital for the State of Illinois.
- Gina Huhnke, MD
- Michael Daum, MD
- Jacob Kennedy, MD
- Christopher Cannon, MD
- Matthew Gilbert, MD
- Eric Cure, MD
- Peter Stevenson, MD
- Adam Dunstone, MD
- Howard Heerdt, DO
Quality Assurance – Like Deaconess, our pre-hospital providers are dedicated to high-quality care. They review the treatment of each patient receiving pre-hospital transport through various audit and review processes. Deaconess assists with these quality assurance activities.
- Deaconess educates EMS providers through:
- Hospital-based courses
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma (PAHT)
- Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
- Hantevy Pediatric Emergency Standards
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Trauma-specific Continuing Medical Education (CME) presentations
- Emergency Medicine Symposium, held annually
- Trauma Conference, held annually in the fall
- Education offered through the Stroke and Trauma Department
- Educational opportunities presented by our EMS Coordinators and supporting physicians on an "as requested" basis.
For more information on educational offerings for health care providers, view our Professional Calendar
These collaborations form solid community partnerships that ensure expert medical care begins within moments of every 9-1-1 call.
Even before arriving at Deaconess, patients benefit from our expertise