When a medical emergency occurs, our patients often need immediate treatment. Thanks to our skilled partners, the regional Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers, help is only a phone call away. If you or a loved one experience a medical emergency, call 9-1-1. Skilled medical professionals will provide crucial pre-hospital care during transport to the most appropriate Deaconess facility.
EMS Symposium will be on September 5th, 2018 - Save the date
Regional EMS Providers
While our regional EMS providers are too numerous to list, we gratefully recognize them all for their dedication to quality services. These professionals include emergency medical responders from area volunteer fire departments, paramedics and nurses who also provide ground or air transport to Deaconess. The following providers work with Deaconess patients most frequently:
- Alcoa EMS
- American Medical Response (AMR)
- Deaconess Illinois TransCare
- Edwards County EMS
- Gibson County Ambulance
- Henderson County EMS
- Pike County EMS
- Posey County EMS
- Scott Township Fire
- Spencer County Ambulance
- Spencer County EMS
- Wabash General Ambulance
- Warrick County EMS
- White County EMS
- Air Evac Lifeteam
Partners in Pre-Hospital Care
Pre-hospital services play a critical role in the overall care of Deaconess patients, so we consider regional EMS providers part of our winning team.
- Deaconess professionals are actively involved in regional EMS activities. Deaconess is approved as a Supervising Hospital for the State of Indiana.
- Deaconess is approved as a Resource Hospital for the State of Illinois.
- Bill Brian, MD: Medical Director for Elberfeld Volunteer Fire Department
- Christopher Cannon, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for McCutchanville Volunteer Fire Department and the Evansville Police Department SWAT. He also serves as the liaison for Air Evac Evansville Base 46 and Posey County EMS.
- Eric Cure, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for German Township Fire Department, Ivy Tech Community College Paramedic Sciences Program, and OnSite Health and Safety.
- J. Patrick Fouts III, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Co-Medical Director for AMR Evansville
- Matthew Gilbert, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for Scott Township Fire Department and Perry Township Volunteer Fire Department
- Gina Huhnke, MD: Emergency Department Medical Director and Medical Director for Gibson County EMS
- Gary Keepes, MD: Deaconess Clinic Petersburg physician, Medical Director for Jefferson Township Fire Department, Petersburgh Fire Department and South Patoka Township Volunteer Fire Department
- Jacob Kennedy, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for Pike County Ambulance and the Wadesville Fire Department
- Peter Stevenson, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for AMR Evansville, Evansville Fire Department, Evansville Regional Airport, Tropicana, Posey County EMS and Black Township Volunteer Fire Department
- Vernon Taylor, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for the University of Southern Indiana
- Ted Troyer, MD: Deaconess Emergency Department physician, Medical Director for Spencer County Ambulance, all fire departments in Spencer County and ALCOA.
- Howard Heerdt, DO: Medical Director of Deaconess Illinois TransCare EMS, White County EMS, MedForce Ambulance, Wabash General Ambulance, Edwards County EMS, Belmont Fire Department, Allendale Fire Department and Mt. Carmel Fire Department.
Quality Assurance – Like Deaconess, our pre-hospital providers are dedicated to high-quality care. They review the treatment of each patient receiving pre-hospital transport through various audit and review processes. Deaconess assists with these quality assurance activities.
Education - Deaconess educates EMS providers through:
- Hospital-based courses
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Trauma-specific Continuing Medical Education (CME) presentations, offered monthly
- Emergency Medicine Symposium, held annually in the fall
- Trauma Conference, held annually in November
- Education offered through the Emergency Department and Trauma Department
- Educational opportunities presented by our EMS Coordinator and supporting physicians on an "as requested" basis.
- Courses in collaboration with
For more information on educational offerings for health care providers, view our Professional Calendar.
These collaborations form solid community partnerships that ensure expert medical care begins within moments of every 9-1-1 call.
Even before arriving at Deaconess, patients benefit from our expertise