Deaconess provides various student nursing opportunities for the development of future nurses.
Deaconess Student Nurse Academy
Deaconess is proud to introduce the Student Nurse Academy to the tri-state’s nursing students. The Academy is an innovative program designed to give students in various levels of their nursing program experience to develop skills and confidence as they progress through their schooling.
Qualifications and Requirements
Upon hire, candidates for the Student Nurse Academy Program must:
Benefits of the Program
- Be in good standing and currently enrolled in an accredited (ACEN, CCNE, or AACN) RN school of nursing and have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Must have completed at least one semester of nursing clinicals in accredited nursing program
- Submit a current, official school transcript and an evaluation form before start date in the program.
- Academy student nurses will have secured temporary employment with more hours during the summer months and limited hours during the school semesters.
- Flexible scheduling during the summer and school year – day, evening, night, and weekend shifts available.
- Financial compensation with rates that increase as the student progresses through the program.
- If the student is offered and accepts a Nursing Graduate position, they will accrue seniority and PTO (Paid Time Off) rates based on time period in the academy.
- Students gain experience with patients before clinical rotations, increase comfort level with being in the hospital setting and become confident with basic skills including communicating with treatment team and patients, monitoring vital signs and other duties delegated by licensed RN staff.
- Academy students build relationships with Deaconess staff and make key connections with nursing leadership.
Student Nurse Academy - 2021 Program Dates
Deaconess Nursing Scholarship
Spring Session: December 28 - March 21
Summer Session: May 17 - July 18
Fall Session: July 26 - October 17
To apply to the Student Nurse Academy, submit an application to the posting on the Careers Page.
The vision of the scholarship program is to identify a selected number of future nursing professionals to promote the profession of nursing and cultivate future nursing leaders within our community. This unrestricted grant is funded by the Deaconess Hospital Foundation and payable to the individual recipient. The scholarship allows recipients to utilize the funds at their discretion to support their successful completion of a degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Qualifications & Requirements
Benefits of Scholarship
- Interested applicants must be entering their final Pre-RN licensure year of nursing education in the fall of 2021, must be in good standing with an AACN, CCNE, or ACEN accredited school of nursing, and must agree to complete the required course work to achieve necessary licensure.
- The scholarship candidate will, at the time of application, have a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- The scholarship candidate will graduate either December 2021 or May 2022 and be eligible to sit for boards in 2022.
- An amount of $4,000.00, granted annually and to each scholarship recipient to assist with successful completion of his/her nursing curriculum.
- Paid entrance to CPR Certification provided by Deaconess Hospital for school of nursing requirement.
- Paid entrance to one NCLEX Review Class.
- Paid exam fee to one State Board of Nursing Licensure Examination.
- Part time or full time Nursing position at Deaconess Hospital in an inpatient care center.
To apply, please fill out and submit an application.
Applications are due March 19, 2021.
For more information about the Student Nurse Academy or the Foundation Nursing Scholarship, please contact 812-450-2936
, or complete the form below.