Skip to main content Skip to home page

Your Health Blog

    Medicare 101: My Medicare Options

    As a leading provider of health care services, we often receive questions from our patients about Medicare. As an owner of MyTruAdvantage Medicare Advantage Plan, we created this Medicare 101 series to help provide helpful information about options available to you when it comes to your health care coverage.
    My Medicare Options
    If you’re like most people, you’ll want to enroll in Medicare Parts A (hospital care coverage) and Part B (medical care coverage) sometime between the 3 months before and the 3 months after turning 65 to avoid costly penalties. Once you enroll in Medicare Part A & Part B, you will need to decide how you’ll get your Medicare coverage.
    There are 2 main options to consider when it comes to Medicare coverage:
    1.) Original Medicare:
    Original Medicare is health insurance offered by the federal government and includes Medicare Part A & Part B. It does not include prescription drug coverage (Medicare Part D), so you will need to select a separate prescription drug plan if you want drug coverage. 

    Original Medicare also does not include coverage for things like dental, hearing, and vision, as well as supplemental benefits such as fitness memberships, over-the-counter allowances and more. You would need to purchase separate coverage for these services or pay out-of-pocket.

    One thing to note about Original Medicare is that it only covers about 80% of your health care costs. You’re responsible for the other 20% out-of-pocket—and there’s no limit to the amount of money you could pay. This means a hospital stay could cost you a large amount out-of-pocket, on top of your premium and deductible costs.
    2.) Medicare Advantage plans
    Medicare Advantage plans (often referred to as Part C) are an “all-in-one” alternative to Original Medicare and are offered by private companies approved by the federal government, like MyTruAdvantage—Deaconess’ own Medicare Advantage plan.

    Medicare Advantage plans cover everything that Original Medicare covers (Medicare Part A & Part B), plus plans like MyTruAdvantage  include prescription drug coverage, as well as extra coverage and benefits, like vision, dental, hearing and more.

    And unlike Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans have a maximum out-of-pocket limit you’ll have to pay for your health care, giving you peace of mind and helping you manage your health care costs.
    About MyTruAdvantage—Deaconess’ Medicare Advantage plan
    Learn more about Medicare and MyTruAdvantage—Deaconess’ own Indiana-based Medicare Advantage plan. MyTruAdvantage is a Medicare Advantage plan founded by doctors and hospitals you know and trust, focused on the community and designed around you. As an owner of MyTruAdvantage, we are pleased to offer this Indiana-based Medicare Advantage plan to our patients, neighbors and community.
    To learn more, visit or call (833) 213-6731 (TTY: 711).
    While Deaconess is affiliated with MyTruAdvantage, we also participate with a variety of other Medicare Advantage Plans operating within the area.
Top Back to top