The holidays are upon us. This year has been very different for all of us with the pandemic descending upon us. So a few tips to enjoy the holiday meals without guilt and without weight gain are listed below.
To help set yourself up for success - set a goal for weight maintenance instead of weight loss. If you do lose weight during the holiday, it is just an added benefit.
- Try not to be hungry when it is time for the holiday meal.
- Eat a light but filling snack prior to having your holiday meal. (Example: a low fat cheese stick, raw vegetables, or a piece of fruit)
- Don’t skip meals.
- Plan what you are going to eat prior to the meal.
- Plan what to do with leftovers prior to the holiday.
Avoid Calories in Beverages:
- Sit away from the food table-- if possible.
- If sitting at the table that contains all your favorite holiday food, put those that are trigger foods for you as farther down the table.
- Pay more attention to the company and not as much to the food.
- Eat foods special to the occasion. Avoid foods that you can have anytime of the year.
- Pay attention to the portion of the special foods and savor each bite.
- Wait about 10-15 minutes prior to having seconds. (You will find that the hunger may have passed or has been greatly reduced)
- Wait for a couple of hours after eating the meal for the dessert. At the snack, have a small piece of your favorite dessert.
- Drink sugar free, calories free beverages.
- Drink calorie-free sparkling water, or water with a lime or lemon or a splash of juice. For a touch of piazza, try adding a slice of lemon, lime or orange to the side of the cup or a mint leaf on top of the drink.