Essential oils are becoming increasingly popular as an ailment for common discomforts. Many women may wonder if these products are safe to use during pregnancy. As long as you choose the right type of oil and small amounts of it during pregnancy, you can expect an abundance of benefits! Some of these benefits for common pregnancy related discomforts may include:
- Induces relaxation: essential oil can help rid of stress and also improve the quality of your sleep.
- Relieves nausea: up to 70% of pregnant women will complain of nausea.
- Treats muscle aches: during pregnancy you can experience body pain and muscle aches and essential oils can help you in relaxing the muscles and fighting inflammation.
- Improves skin conditions: during pregnancy, stress and change in your hormones can cause breakouts and essential oils are safe for topical application to improve your skin.
- Treats headaches: pregnancy can cause headaches especially during the first trimester, and essential oil can help provide relief from headaches and make you feel relaxed.
Some of the best essential oils for use during pregnancy include:
- Lavender: relaxing and calming effect; very effective against nervous tension and stress and works to enhance restfulness and improve sleep.
- Peppermint: great for digestion and nausea; relieves pain and headaches. (Do not use during breast feeding; decreases breast milk).
- Chamomile: calming; supports digestive health; fights anxiety and depression; relieves allergies; improves sleep; boosts skin health and promotes heart health
- Ylang Ylang: antidepressant; antiseptic and anti-spasmodic; improves blood flow and boosts immune health and also induces feeling of relaxation.
- Ginger: fights nausea and vomiting which is common in pregnancy; also energizing.
- Orange: treats spasms and cramps; relaxing and up-lifting.
- Lemon: relaxation; astringent properties. Goes very well with ginger to have a more refreshing scent.
- Grape fruit: relaxing ; reduces fatigue
- Bergamot: relaxing; enhances mood and minimizes stress; especially is great to apply one drop on acupuncture point called Shenman. Also goes very well with lavender.
- Cardamom: good for digestion; overall health and instantly uplifting your energy.
These essential oils should not be used during pregnancy:
- Basil, Jasmine, Clary sage, Sage, Nutmeg, Rose, Rosemary, Juniper berry, Laurel, Angelica, Thyme, Cumin, Aniseed, Citronella and Cinnamon leaf
- These oils should be avoided, as they could cause uterine contractions.
Essential oils can also be used in combination with acupuncture and massage during pregnancy to relieve discomforts. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 812-842-4328. If you have questions regarding the safety of essential oils or other alternative therapies during your pregnancy, always speak with your doctor.